Magewappa means 'bent wood' in Japanese. It's a traditional form of woodcraft that is found in Odate, in the northern Akita prefecture. It is an officially designated Traditional Craft form in Japan. It used to be encouraged as winter work for farmers and lower-class samurai by the lord of the area.
Magewappa Classic is a classic one-tier, oval shaped box with a matching fitted lid. The blonde bent wood sides, made from straight grain wood, are fastened with small strips of darker wood by highly skilled artisans using traditional methods. A matching wooden separator is included.
As with all real magewappa ware, the wood is uncoated, which allows rice packed inside to breathe, making it taste great even when cold. The wood also smells wonderful, since it is cedar! Somehow the cedar aroma seems to enhance the flavor of your food.
Magewappa Classic is a great everyday bento box that will bring a smile to your face every time you use it.
Product Details & Care
Magewappa Classic is a single tier, oval shaped bento box. It measures 19 cm x 12 cm x 6 cm high (7,5" x 4.7" x 2,4") and has an inner capacity of approximately 640ml. The Bento&co logo is burned into the inside of the lid - we're proud to have our mark on such a high quality product.
Note that this is a genuine Otade Magewappa box, made to the highest standards. You'll notice the difference immediately from inferior versions sold by other companies, when you touch the silky smooth surface and see the workmanship.
Made from sustainably farmed sugi (Japanese cedar) wood. Since the wood is untreated, some care should be taken with this box:
- Wash in lukewarm water. Do not use dishwasher detergent unless absolutely necessary. We recommend packing food that may stain the wood in a separate container, or in bento cups. Use a gentle sponge, nothing abrasive.
- Do not leave immersed in water.
- After washing, wipe off any excess water with a soft cloth, then leave the box open to dry completely. Replace the lid only after it has completely dried out, after a day or so.
- With proper care, this box will last for many years.
- Made in Japan, in Otade, Akita prefecture.