Frequently asked questions
Answer to all your questions 乂❤‿❤乂
We at Bento&co are specialized in all things Bento. Bento are beautiful functional Japanese lunch boxes. Apart from selling Bento boxes we also sell related goods, either to make your meals even better or just great products from Japan.
We offer you the highest quality, best Bento boxes around - through our online shop shipped from Japan and our flagship boutique right here in Kyoto where we are based.
Should you ever visit this ancient capital, please come by, we will be happy to serve you ღゝ◡╹)ノ♡. (Read more about us.)
Why you can trust us
- We are nice and honest people.
- We use a safe and secure, Paypal, for payments.
- Like our makers, we have a real passion for our products. Here is an article on how our products are made.
- In our first 5 years, we have successfully delivered over 70,000 orders - worldwide. 60% of our customers have ordered more than once, and our Facebook page has more than 44,000 fans.
- We're always reachable if you need something. By mail, we guarantee you to answer within 24 hours (during working days) or even instantly by chat (Use the little red window below that says "need help?").
Placing an order
How do I place my order?
It is a very simple process:
- Browse through the site until you find an item that strikes your fancy
- Select the color or size from the pulldown menu, then click "add to cart".
- Do this for each item you would like to buy.
- Once you've added all the items, click "My Cart" to review the shopping cart. The checkout process consists of 4 steps: billing address (and/or shipping address), shipping method, payment with Paypal and confirmation. We'll send over an email with your order information to confirm.
How do you select the products?
We choose products we are in love with because we think that our customers will love them too ( ◜◒◝ )♡. We try to offer really unique products, one constant criteria though: Top Quality. We like and respect our makers a whole lot.
What do the “S”, “M” “L” and “XL” sizes for the bento boxes mean?
- Size S indicates bento boxes with a holding capacity smaller than 500ml. They are appropriate for children or people with small appetites. They can also be used for snacks or as a supplementary bento box.
- Size M indicates bento boxes with a holding capacity between 500 and 780ml. Many of them have two compartments, one of which is designed to hold rice (or another carbohydrate, such as pasta.) and another for sides and proteins. Size M boxes are appropriate for most adults and older children.
- Size L indicates bento boxes with a holding capacity between 780 and 1000 ml. These are bento boxes for people with hearty appetites. If this still seems to small for you, consider the XL sized bento boxes!
- Size XL bento boxes are boxes intended to be used by 2 or more people, though of course they could be used by a single person for a very generous lunch! They are ideal for picnics, parties and so on.
I'm trying to avoid plastic containers, do you have non-plastic alternatives?
Most of the latter kind are works of art as well as being practical bento boxes! Note that stainless steel boxes usually have a thin leak-resistant silicone seal around their lids, which makes them very practical. Some stainless steel boxes have plastic side containers and/or lids.
Can I order a sold out item?
Normally, no, but if a item is currently sold out, it doesn't mean it won't come back. When a product is sold out, click on the green button on the left side of your screen "Notify me" to receive an email as soon as the product will be available again.
Where do I notify that my order is a gift?
You can write it in the "special request" space in the shopping cart. In that case, we won't include the invoice the parcel but we"ll directly email it to the buyer. Please be aware that shipments sent as gifts may still be subject to customs fees.
How do I pay for an order?
With PayPal. You can pay either with your credit card or with your PayPal account if you have one.
Is the site secure?
Personal banking information is fully protected by PayPal. Bento&Co doesn't have access to your credit card information at any time.
How do I use my discount code?
If you have a discount code (lucky you!), put it in at check out, don't forget to confirm it!
When will my credit card be charged?
Paypal will charge your credit card or Paypal account as soon as your order has been confirmed.
Do you ship worldwide?
We ship worldwide, if your country is not listed during the checkout process, feel free to contact us because we can ship in every country in the world.
How much is the shipping cost? How long will it take?
To know how much the shipping cost will be, simply add your items to the cart, and shipping cost choices will be displayed under the section "Get shipping estimates" after entering your country and zip code.
We offer free shipping for orders over 89 USD to most countries.
Where will you ship my order from?
We are located in beautiful Kyoto, Japan. Your order will be shipped directly from here ⊂((ᵕ.ᵕ))⊃.
Will I have to pay taxes and custom fees?
The import of a product from Japan may be subject to taxes and to custom fees in the country of delivery. These supplementary costs are the customer’s responsibility.
The price of the products excluding the shipping cost will be displayed on your package.
For more information, please read the Shipping page.
Return and cancellation policy
I'd like to cancel my order, how can I do that?
If your order hasn't been shipped yet (i.e. you haven't received the shipment confirmation), notify us as soon as possible. We will refund you the total amount of your order.
However, if your order has already been sent, we cannot cancel it. You can return the products. Unfortunately, we are unable to refund the shipping cost, and you will be responsible for the return shipping fees.
I'd like to send my order back, how can I do that?
Above all, we want you to be satisfied, so if you're not satisfied with your purchase, you can return the items ans ask for a refund, an exchange or a voucher. Returns must be within 7 days of delivery and all returned items must be in the original condition you received them in. Shipping cost cannot be reimbursed.
Before sending back the products, please send us a email indicating what you're returning and why. We are not able to pay for the cost of shipping the products back to us.
Please be aware that in all cases the customer is responsible for paying customs fees and providing any and all documents required by Customs in your country.
If the customer refuses to pay those taxes, packages will be sent back to us. We'll then refund you the amount of your order after having withdrawn the real shipping cost that the carrier charged to us.
Express shipments can't be sent back to us as return fees are too high (usually exceed the order value). In that case, the order will be destroyed and no refund will be possible.
Postal service ordering and related issues
What should I do if I don't receive my order?
For Economy and Registred shipments, it is possible that in some cases shipments can take up to 45 days, so we will take action on undelivered packages only after this time period. If your package seems to be taking a long time and you chose Economy or Registered as shipping methody, first go to your local post office and ask if a parcel is waiting for you ⊙△⊙. If 45 days have lapsed since the order was sent, and you still haven’t receive it, please contact us.
For Express shipments, FedEx, UPS, DHL or EMS shipments, please go to the online tracking service to see the status. Contact us if you have any issues with tracking your parcel, at firstname.lastname@example.org
One or several items have been broken during the delivery
If you have items that were damaged during delivery, please e-mail us within 48 hours after receiving your order and include pictures of your damaged item.
One item was missing in my parcel?
If this happened to you, please accept our apologies. Contact us and we will fix it ASAP.
I've lost or broken a piece of my bento
Send us an email describing what part is lost or broken and we can try to find a replacement piece. In order no to not incur additional shipping fees, we advise you to make an order on the Bento&Co site and we will include the replacement piece with your order.
Pricing for replacement parts depend on complexity - please contact us should this apply to you.
Can bento boxes be re-heated in a microwave oven?
Some bento boxes are microwave-safe and some are not. This all depends on what material the bento box is made from. This is indicated in the product description for each item. We also include instructions in English with each box. Microwave safe bento boxes are listed here.
How do I contact customer service?
Do you have a question, remark, photo, or funny story? You can get in touch with the Bento&Co team in the following ways:
What size furoshiki should I get for my bento box?
See our All About Furoshiki page for more info.
How do I fold a furoshiki?
See our All About Furoshiki page for more info.
If you are interested in reselling our products
We allow wholesale orders of our products. Please contact us at email@example.com and give the name and address of your shop and what you're interested in.