How to Make Takoyaki (Octopus dumplings)
Takoyaki, gooey ball-shaped dumplings filled with octopus, are one of the most popular street foods in Japan. Using a special takoyaki pan designed with spherical molds, this yummy snack is made with just a few ingredients and topped with a special takoyaki sauce.
Now you can make these delicious, piping hot snacks at home using our Takoyaki pan and cooking accessories!
The process of creating the balls requires a few minutes of constant rotating, which makes it a fun interactive event for family gatherings and parties!
See below for full recipe and cooking instructions.
200 g takoyaki flour
600 ml water
cooking oil (for greasing the pan)
200 g sliced octopus
30 ml minced pickled ginger (2 tbsp)
takoyaki sauce (add to taste)
optional: tenkasu flakes and hoshi ebi dried shrimps
Recipe (makes about 40 takoyaki)
1. Pour 200 g takoyaki flour into a mixing bowl
2. Add one egg and 600 ml water
3. Mix until homogenous
4. Grease the pan thoroughly with oil and preheat on the stove
5. Pour mixture into each mold (fill about halfway)
6. Add sliced octopus, minced pickled ginger to each mold
Optional: We also added tenkasu (crispy flour batter bits) and hoshi ebi small dried shrimps
7. Cook until boiling
8. Use a skewer or toothpick to release the edges of each mold and flip!
9. Continue rotating until balls form (should be golden brown)
10. Remove from pan and top with sauce, nori flakes and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
See all of our takoyaki cooking essentials here!