Taiyaki, yummy fish-shaped waffles filled with gooey red beans or custard, are a street food staple across Japan. First created by a sweets shop in Tokyo in 1909, they get their name from the Japanese word for sea bream (tai), the fish that inspired the waffle's shape.
Learn how to make fresh Taiyaki at home in a few easy steps using our stovetop Taiyaki Pan! (see ingredients and directions below video)
Ingredients (makes 8 to 10 taiyaki):
- 250 g sweet red bean anko paste
- 150 g cake flour
- 1 egg
- 2/3 tbsp baking powder
- 180 ml milk
- 40 g sugar
1. Add sugar to whisked egg
2. Mix with sifted flour and baking powder
3. Add milk
4. Turn stove on low heat (note: pan is compatible with gas stoves only )
5. Place pan on stove and grease molds with butter or cooking oil
6. Fill molds halfway with mixture
7. Cook one side until bubbles form, then repeat with other side
8. Add a spoonful of anko red bean paste in two adjacent molds
9. Quickly close pan
10. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping periodically until golden brown
11. Remove from heat and enjoy!
View our taiyaki cooking essentials here!