Salty and slightly sweet ground chicken and scrambled eggs come together with green veggies in this quick and oh-so-satisfying bento lunch. Packed with flavor, protein and visual appeal, this can also be an effortless weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. The name “Sanshoku” means “tri-colored”, referring to the brown of the meat, yellow of the egg, and green from the veggies. “Soboro” refers to any food cooked into fine pieces or crumbles, like scrambled egg and ground meat.
How to Make a Sanshoku Soboro Bento
(Featuring the Triple Pan)
One serving of cooked rice
- 100 grams Ground chicken
- ½ Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp soy Sauce
- ½ Tbsp sake
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp mirin
- 2 eggs
- ½ Tbsp cooking oil
- ½ Tbsp of soy sauce
- ½ tsp of mirin
- ½ tsp of sugar
- ⅓ -½ cup of cooked Edamame removed from their pods (Or other green vegetable, – we recommend snow peas, green beans or green peas)
- 1 tsp of oil
- Pinch of salt
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add soy sauce, mirin and sugar.
- Beat together (we recommend using Cooking Chopsticks)
- Heat pan on medium-high heat.
- Add ½ Tbsp oil to pan
- Add ground chicken and brown the meat, mixing with Cooking Chopsticks to separate clumps.
- Add soy sauce, sake and sugar
- Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated
Add ½ Tbsp oil to pan on medium-high heat.
- Add egg mixture.
- Use a pair of chopsticks (or even two pairs of chopsticks!) and quickly stir to scramble the eggs.
(Using chopsticks allows you to split up the egg into fine scrambles.
Pan-fry Edamame (Optional. Slightly browning the edamame adds a little bit of extra flavor)
- Add a teaspoon of oil to pan and cook edamame for a couple of minutes.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Pack rice into bento (this can also be done earlier to ensure rice properly cools down before packing the other ingredients, which helps with food safety).
- Top rice with eggs, ground meat and edamame.
- Wrap up in a beautiful furoshiki and enjoy!
*Here we used the Original Magewappa Bento and the Furoshiki Wrapping Cloth 48cm | Tsubaki Navy Blue