Magewappa means 'bent wood' in Japanese. It's a traditional form of woodcraft that is found in Odate, in the northern Akita prefecture. During Japan's infamous feudal area it used to be encouraged as winter work for farmers and lower-class samurai by the lord of the area. Today it is an officially designated Traditional Craft form in Japan.
Magewappa Azuki really lives up to its name showcasing some truly impressive wood bending technique - ending up with a shape reminiscing of a Azuki bean.
The blonde bent wood sides, made from straight grain wood, are fastened with small strips of darker wood by highly skilled artisans using traditional methods.
A matching wooden separator is included.
As with all real magewappa ware, the wood is uncoated, which allows rice packed inside to breathe, making it taste great even when cold.
The wood also smells wonderful, since it is cedar! Somehow the cedar aroma seems to enhance the flavour of the food.
Magewappa Azuki is a great bento box that will stand out with its superb design and bring a smile to your face every time you use it.
Magewappa Azuki is a two tier, bean shaped bento box. Generous space for big lunches can be found in the two layers totalling 890 ml, with the lower holding 500ml and the upper 390ml, a food divider is included so that dishes can be easily separated.
The dimensions of the box are 170 x 90 x 95 mm (6.69" x 3.54" x 3.74").
For the total experience we recommend carrying this elegant box in a Furoshiki, please find our collection here.
Our Bento&co logo is burned into the inside of the lid - we're proud to have our mark on such a high quality product.
Please note that this is a genuine Odate Magewappa box, made to the highest standards. You'll notice the difference immediately from inferior versions by other vendors, when you touch the silky smooth surface and see the workmanship. The Bento is delivered in an elegant paper box keeping with the luxurious feel.
Made from sustainably farmed sugi (Japanese cedar) wood. Since the wood is treated just with a thin layer of Polyurethane paint on the outside of the box for its finish, some care should be taken with this box:
- Not Dishwasher nor Microwave safe
- Weight : 250 g
- Wash in lukewarm water. Do not use dishwasher detergent unless absolutely necessary. We recommend packing food that may stain the wood in a separate container, or in bento cups. Use a gentle sponge, nothing abrasive.
- Do not leave immersed in water.
- After washing, wipe off any excess water with a soft cloth, then leave the box open to dry completely. Replace the lid only after it has completely dried out, after a day or so.
- With proper care, this box will last for many years.
- Made in Japan, in Odate, Akita prefecture.