We are big fans of Hakoya products, and we think that they have really outdone themselves with these adorable Kokeshi Bento boxes. Turning kokeshi, traditional Japanese dolls made of wood, into practical bento boxes is a stroke of genius.
The Kokeshi Bento series boxes are available in six designs. Please see the description below and the photos to choose your favorite from the pulldown menu when ordering. You'll want to collect all of them to use as room decorations, not just as bento boxes!
The Kokeshi Bento consists of 2 parts:
- 2 stacking compartments. The upper compartment has a domed, leak-resistant inner lid.
- An inverted bowl that's also a cute hat or headpiece for the kokeshi doll.
If you get more than one Kokeshi Bento, you can mix up the components to create your very own kokeshi! An elastic bento belt is included, to hold everything together.
There are 6 types of Kokeshi Bento available, each with their own personality (from left to right in the photo below):
- Kintaro (Golden Boy) and Momotaro (Peach Boy), two well known characters in Japanese folklore
- Ichiro and Hanako, a Japanese boy and girl with cherry blossom decorations
- Maiko, the cute little geisha and Bushi, the warrior.
(Be sure to check out our new and exclusive Kokeshi Bento Kyoto boxes too!)
Total capacity: 640ml. Each closed compartment holds 200ml, and the bowl can hold up to 240ml. However you should only pack well wrapped food in the bowl since it's not sealed. One idea is to bring along a packet of instant miso soup and add hot water in this bowl at lunchtime.
Dimensions: 100mm (3.9") diameter x 130mm (5.12") high.
Composition and Care
The boxes are made of PET-ABS.
They are microwave and dishwasher safe, with the inner flexible lids removed.
Do not place in the oven or near an open flame.
Made in Japan, in Ishikawa.