The Edo Bento Box is a cousin of our beloved Kyo Bento box. Edo（江戸）is the old name of Tokyo, and Kyo（京）is an abbreviation of Kyoto! Traditionally, Kyoto has been the town with the soft, feminine image, while Edo or Tokyo has has a harder, masculine image. Since the Kyo Bento Box has rounded lines, we think that Edo is a perfect names for this squarer box.
Like its rounded cousin, the Edo Bento Box is a two-tier, traditional wooden bento box, made of wood from the harigiri (kaloponax) tree, called sen. The slightly open grain of the wood and the warm reddish-brown color adds to its natural charm. The rectangular tiers have rounded corners.
The box is hand made by a skilled artisan in Aizu, Fukushima prefecture, an area known for its skilled wood crafters. The box is finished with food grade polyurethane, which gives the wood a beautiful look.
We recommend using a furoshiki wrapping cloth for wrapping and transporting this bento box.
The Edo Bento Box comes packaged in a beautiful presentation box - perfect for gift giving.
- Total capacity: 770ml (380ml for the upper tier, 390ml for the lower tier). There is a matching wooden lid, and one T-shaped internal wooden divider.
- Dimensions: 17.5 cm long x 10 cm wide x 9 cm high (6.9" x 3.9" x 3.54").
- 100% wood, with a food grade polyurethane finish.
- Not microwave, oven or dishwasher safe!
- Hand wash only using cold or lukewarm water and a mild dishwashing detergent if needed. Dry with a soft cloth. Do not leave soaking in water. Oils that may leech from your food just deepen the color of the wood. With proper care, the box can last for generations.