The 2013 International Bento Contest Rules
PARTICIPATION AND GENERAL PRINCIPALS
The contest is free and is open to all people over the age of 18 years.
Participants must read these rules and agree to follow them.
Bento&co, organizer of the contest, will pick two grand winners at the end of the competition and 20 finalists.
The two grand winners will receive a trip to Kyoto, Japan.
The ranking of the 20 finalists will be determined by a public vote open to all. The 20 finalists will be awarded prizes, which have been offered by our partners.
TERMS OF THE COMPETITION
The theme of the contest is “Pasta bento”.
Contestants should prepare a bento in a box that consists of one or two tiers, and the bento should be made of pasta.
The pasta can either be the main dish or a side dish of the bento. The pasta can be made of spaghetti, farfalle, lasagna or any other type of Italian pasta.
The bento should not be made of asian noodles, like Japanese udon, soba, ramen or Chinese noodles.
Using local and in season products from the contestant’s region is a plus, as this adds to the authenticity and uniqueness of the bentos.
It is not necessary to be a customer of Bento&co, nor to utilize products from Bento&co to participate.
Friends and family members of employees of Bento&co, and also bloggers affiliated with Bento&co cannot be designated winners.
Period of the contest
- The contest is open from Friday, April 5th, 2013 at 6:00 a.m. to Monday, April 22nd, 2013 11:59 a.m. All times are in reference to Japan Standard TIme (JST).
Sending of photos
- Each contestant may submit one single photo. Please make sure photos are horizontal, not vertical.
- Send photos to the following address: email@example.com.
- To increase chances of winning, we strongly recommend only sending good quality photos, taken in a lighted area, and using a neutral background to highlight the bento itself. It is best to avoid using a flash and avoid low resolution photos.
- A description of three or four lines must accompany the photos. Sending recipes is optional. Extra information beyond the short description will not influence the decision, as the decision is based only on the photo.
- The photos must not have text or or URLs printed on top of the image.
- The email message to which the photo is attached should include the contestant’s name, address, email address and telephone number.
The contestant agrees that the photo submitted for the contest can be utilized on Bento&co’s website and related social media sites (online shops, blogs, Facebook Pages, Twitter, etc.). Bento&co becomes the holder of the rights of the photo sent in for the contest and reserves the right to utilize it for commercial purposes.
Determining of winners of the contest
- On April 24th, based on the best entries, Bento&co will pick two grand winners from among the participants.
- The winners chosen based on the beauty of the bento, and thus the quality of the photos which contain them.
- Bento&co will also pick 20 finalists on April 24th.
- The ranking of the 20 finalists will be decided by an online public vote on Bento&co’s websites. The vote will open at 11:59 a.m. April 24th and close at 11:59 a.m. April 29th. All times are Japan Standard Time (JST).
- On April 29th, the ranking of the the 20 finalists, decided by the public vote, will be announced.
Dates and time periods
- Submission period: Friday, April 4th, 2013 to Monday, April 22nd, 2013 at 11:59 a.m. (Japanese Standard Time, JST)
- Grand winners and finalist announcements: Wednesday, April 24th, 2012
- Announcement of the 20 finalist: Wednesday, April 24th, 2012 (The 20 finalists photos will be shown for ranking.)
- Online ranking period: Wednesday, April 24th to Monday, April 29th at 11:59 a.m. (Japanese Standard Time, JST)
- Online ranking results announcement: Monday, April 29th on the Bento&co website. Winners will be notified by email.
The awards for the two grand prize winners
- Grand winner who is outside of Japan: one grand winner will be chosen from contestants who are outside of Japan and this person will receive a round-trip plane ticket (provided by Bento&co) for a one-week stay in a house in Kyoto, Japan, offered by Japan Experience, a premiere travel agency specializing in Japan.
- Grand winner who is inside Japan: one grand winner will be chosen from contestants who are inside of Japan and this person will receive a night’s stay for two at Royal Park Hotel Kyoto, and a dinner with the Bento&co team.
Additional costs during the trip (transportation, meals, visits to temples) will be borne by the contest winner. The dates of these trips will be determined after the end of the contest and will probably chosen for an off-peak time for tourism in Japan. Bento&co is not responsible for any problems that might occur while the winners are on these trips.
Prizes of the the 20 finalists
- The 20 finalists will receive prizes offered by our partners: bento boxes and bento and cooking accessories. The ranking of the 20 finalists determine the number and value of the prizes awarded to them.
Participation form (to be included when sending the photo)
Family name (last name):
( ) I certify that I am over 18 years of age.
( ) I have not, nor have been, a part of Bento&co, its partners, or a judge in this contest.
Describe your bento in 3 to 4 lines: